Thursday, February 22, 2007

Embroidered Silk Paintings

I discovered silk painting in 2004 and since then I have realised how appropriate the rich colours, especially those of steam fixed silk dyes, are for the basis of a free machine embroidery.

The centre of this group of Azalea heads are free machined using a gold thread.

The above photos are a reflection of some of my work so far. The vibrancy of the colours lend themselves to flower portraits. Free machine embroidery has been used selectively for the centers of the flowers. I did these in the first year of my experimenting with silk painting and I sold all three which immediately spurred me on to continue.
I continued to use silk paint and dye on scarves and bags as well more pictures. I also joined the Guild of Silk Painters. where I gained immense support from local and national members in the skills and knowledge involved in silk painting. More examples to follow.

1 comment:

Grangry said...

These flower embroideries are beautiful. So glad to be directed to your blog.